The Weekly Update at NHCC…
This Sunday, July 25th, “Those Powerful and Puzzling Parables” continue as we discuss “The Source of our Fuel” Our Scripture focus is on Matthew 25:1-13
Our 9:00am and 10:45 am service will be inside in the Sanctuary.
Our online service will be available at 9:00 am and any time after that. Join us in person or online.
Sunday, August 1st – 9:00 am Worship in the Sanctuary
10:45 am – Worship outside in the parking lot
Pastoral Transition Plan Update: At the board meeting on Tuesday July 20th, the proposed plan for the Pastoral Leadership Transition Plan was approved and accepted as the plan NHCC will move forward with after Pastor Jim’s retirement at the end of the year. The elders are grateful for everyone’s input and prayers during this process and they look forward to see where God will lead our church. Pastor Ali has accepted the call to be our Transitional Interim Minister as the plan proposed, and she is excited to help lead us through our transition process after Pastor Jim retires in December. Pastor Ali will begin her role as our Transitional Interim Pastor on January 1, 2022.
The Pastoral Leadership Transition Plan is below. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to any of the elders, Pastor Jim or Pastor Ali.
Every Tuesday – Prayer Team @ 6:00 via Zoom
Baby Backpack Needs: The Baby Crib in the Gathering Area is overflowing with items that have been donated for the Baby Backpack mission project we are working on in partnership with the Akron Urban League. We are grateful for all that has been donated so far. If you’re still looking for ways to help with this project, there are a few items that we could use a few more of. Here is a list of those items:
Diapers, Nursing Pads, Mucus Bulbs, Baby Wash Items, Changing Pads, Thermometer, Pacifier Wipes, Nail Clippers, Bottle Brushes
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Ali.
You’re Invited to a Baby Shower!!!
On Saturday, July 31 2021 from 5:30 pm to???? On behalf of the Sisters in Christ, Cal Wolfe is hosting a Baby Shower for anyone who would like to attend. The purpose of this shower is to collect outfits to go in the baby backpacks we are putting together for the Akron Urban League. Baby outfit sizes can be from newborn to 12-18 months. There will be salads and desserts to eat and much fun and connection for all who attend. Please RSVP to Cal so she knows you are coming.
The Plan for the Transition of our Pastoral Staff
Pastor Jim Bane has faithfully served the New Horizons Christian Church as Pastor (and more recently Lead Pastor) since October of 2003 and has shared with the Elders and the Board that he intends to retire from his ministry with us at the end of 2021. We are grateful for his time with us and are excited for both Jim and Holly concerning what the future holds for them.
Here is our plan for this transitional time in the life of our church:
- For the remainder of 2021, Jim will maintain his role of Lead Pastor and will work alongside Ali Miguel in her role as Co-Pastor. As it has been since July of 2020, they will share preaching, worship leadership, pastoral care, and other ministries. In addition, both will work to prepare the church for moving into the next phase of its life.
- Starting in 2022, Ali will continue her ministry at New Horizons but in a different role as our Transitional Interim Pastor. Ali has received Interim Ministry Training through our Region, and due to her familiarity with our congregation is well-suited for this new position.
- With the pastor position secured, our congregation will have the time it needs to evaluate itself, its neighborhood, and its future ministry possibilities which will help inform its search for a new pastoral leader or continuing the co-pastor model. The clearer picture that the church has of its own strengths and opportunities, the more focused and successful it can be in the search process.
- A search team will be appointed and will lead this process in consultation with Allen Harris, Regional Pastor and President of the Christian Church in Ohio. Rev. Harris has been informed of our needs and has already begun to advise us.
- Pastor Ali is eligible to be a candidate for the installed pastor position if she feels called to be so.
- An ad-hoc committee will be formed to develop various phases of the pastoral staff transition. The committee will be appointed by the Elders board.
- In terms of how long the search process will take, there is no definitive answer especially with Covid’s impact on so many things both in the church and beyond it. The key is for the church to conduct a thorough and unhurried search and be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit. We are hopeful that the person called will be able to serve and lead our congregation for many years to come.